First of all the most serious technique that you should know is Phishing.
What is Phishing?
Phishing is a cybercrime where targets are contacted by phone, via message or email by someone acting as a legitimate institution or person to lure the victim into providing sensitive info. This can be as personal information, banking and credit card details, accounts, and passwords.
Maybe you already got hit by such poorly written emails in your spam folder, but you have to know there are more skilled scammers out there with sophisticated techniques that hard to recognize for the first sight.
The crooks are using more and more fabricated stuff to reach their goals, so they are creeping into the webcam industry too for hunting potential victims.
If you fall for phishing attack your stolen information is can be used to access your accounts and can result in identity theft, black mailing and financial loss.
So be prepared, and be familiar with their techniques.
What is suspicious when you are camming?
- If the model/broadcaster or somebody else in the free chat area offering things that sound too good to be true (for example free tokens/free show if you visit a site)
- Sense of urgency (for example another user rush you to download something)
- Hyperlinks (for example if the chat area spammed with URLs)
- Weird advertisements (too good to be true offers that leads sites that looks official and you have to log in) (You can find weird websites that offering free credits for example)
- Attachments (for example a cam model or an unusual sender sends you an attachment that you do not except)
What the bad guys can do with your live cam account?
They can do various things such as:
- Spy on the history of your previous show to know your preferences
- They can try to figure out your private data
- Spend your tokens/credits for their own pleasure
- Can purchase credits if you saved your payment details previously
- Download content about you, collect data (if you have online stored data on the site) to prepare a more serious attack against you
- Afterall they can try your leaked login details on different other sites
How to avoid being fished?
- Most important: Think before you click! – Clicking on links that appear in random chats instant messages emails is always a bad idea.
- Protect yourself with your browser – Install anti-phishing toolbar, these toolbars can run quick checks on the site that you are visiting actually and compare them to databases of known phishing sites. Besides always keep your browser fresh, so always install the new versions of it.
- Verify a site’s security – Always check if you are visited the right domain. So check if there are any typos on the URL, and check if the site certification belongs to the right Company. Always check if your site is using https instead of HTTP. All the big webcam sites are using https:// in the URL since it is more secure than HTTP.
- Check your online accounts regularly –Never use the same password on different websites, and get into the habit of changing your passwords regularly.
- Be wary of pop-ups – Popups can be a source of many bad things. As I told you, think before you click.
- Never give out your personal information – Especially in the free chat areas since It cause many bad things, and you do not want to be for example blackmailed at the end. So never give out personal data to anybody. Never. Neither for the models. Never. Really.
- Use antivirus – this one is always a good idea. Be protected.